Partner 16, Associate, Business Development & Corporate Development, Life Sciences
The Bio+Health Business Development (BD) and Corporate Development (CD) teams support a16z portfolio companies across:
- BD strategy and planning
- Financing strategy and planning
- Partner and investor insights
- Transactions and negotiations
The Associate will drive analytical BD & CD initiatives to (1) help our life sciences portfolio companies maximize partnership and fundraising outcomes and (2) support the portfolio and broader a16z Bio+Health team via real-time market intelligence and transaction-related data. You will work closely with the Life Sciences BD & CD leads, as well as partner with our investing team and portfolio companies on data-driven projects. You’ll supercharge our team by building new analytical capabilities, tracking and sharing insights around relevant deal landscapes, managing internal and external databases, and helping the a16z life sciences portfolio execute on their goals.
To join our team, you should be excited to:
- Drive analytical initiatives to support the a16z Business Development & Corporate Development team and Life Sciences portfolio
- Develop Quarterly Market Reports to summarize and share important insights across life sciences BD & CD landscapes for use within a16z and for portfolio company advisory
- Work with a16z BD & CD teams and portfolio teams on analytical projects to inform operating models, partner and investor target lists, deal structures, valuations and negotiations of terms
- Manage, maintain, and improve internal databases including portfolio deal trackers, fundraising trackers, pharma / investor priorities and network maps, etc
- Build analytical capabilities to assess and enable decision making for a16z follow-ons, public company holdings and divestments
- 3-5 years of analytical experience within investment banking or management consulting, with a focus on life sciences companies
- A strong understanding of financial modeling and specific experience building models to support capital raising, BD and M&A transactions in the pharmaceutical / life sciences space
- Ability to navigate and leverage output from various databases, not limited to CapIQ and EvaluatePharma
- Highly organized, self-motivated, and detail-oriented
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work cross-functionally with both internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to manage competing priorities within a dynamic work environment
- Keen interest in science, novel biotech platforms, and the life sciences industry overall
- This role requires an in-office presence 1-2 days a week in Menlo Park.
The anticipated salary range for this role is between $163,000-$190,000, actual starting pay may vary based on a range of factors which can include experience, skills, and scope.
This role is eligible to participate in the a16z carry program and various discretionary bonus programs as well as benefit and perquisite plans including health, dental, vision, disability, life insurance, 401K plan, vacation, and sick leave.
- We do only first class business and only in a first class way
- We take a long view of relationships, because we are in the relationship business
- We believe in the future and bet the firm that way
- We are all different, we recognize that, and we win
- We celebrate the good times
- We do it for the team
- We play to win
At a16z we are always looking to hire the absolute best talent and recognize that diversity in our experiences and backgrounds is what makes us stronger. We hire candidates of any race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital or family status, disability, Veteran status, and any other status. These differences are what enables us to work towards the future we envision for ourselves, our portfolio companies, and the World.