Partner 20, Corporate Finance
We are seeking to bring in a Partner to expand our internal Corporate Finance function. This person will add a strategic perspective to cash management, long range financial planning, new ventures and internal investment management, and ad hoc initiatives, while establishing scalable processes that effectively mitigate various risks that could impact our business’ performance and liquidity.
a16z is scaling rapidly, now with several hundred employees, and we expect to continue our growth trajectory along with geographic expansion. The ?rm intends to become the most important technology institution in the world and is in constant pursuit of process improvement in support of this goal.
To join our team, the candidate should be excited to build, build, build! As a16z enters a new phase of growth and expansion, the Corporate Finance Partner will be responsible for designing, building, and maintaining financial models for both short and long-term performance and forecasting, driving a greater level of sophistication to all financial activities by strengthening our visibility to firmwide results, cashflows, and documented processes around financial planning.
The Corporate Finance Partner will be an individual contributor, reporting into the Head of Corporate Finance, and partnering closely with senior leadership across our Finance, Accounting, and Strategy teams, and should also be able to represent a16z externally in some of our legal and banking relationships.
Primary responsibilities of the Corporate Finance Partner include:
- Firmwide Financial Management: Providing visibility to Management Company’s internal financial performance on a global scale; monitoring firmwide financial metrics and indicators, analyzing trends, and making recommendations for improvements.
- Strategic Financial Planning: Contribution to the development and execution of comprehensive financial plans that align with the company’s strategic goals. This includes long-term financial forecasting, budgeting, and scenario analysis.
- Performance Reporting: Preparation and delivery of high-quality financial reports and presentations to stakeholders, including firm founders and senior leaders. Ensure accurate and timely reporting of firmwide financial results. Provide regular reporting to senior management on cash positions, banking product yield, and other relevant metrics.
- Financial modeling and scenario planning: Building dynamic financial models that enable financial analyses and scenario modeling in support of strategic decision-making related to treasury and cash management activities, including evaluating investment opportunities, and assessing the impact of economic and market trends.
- Cross-functional Collaboration: Collaboration with different departments within the organization to integrate financial strategy with overall business strategy. Provide financial expertise in strategic decision making.
- Project Management: Ad hoc financial projects, such as process improvements, financial systems upgrades and implementations, and policy developments, with a focus on strategic planning and firmwide implications.
- International Expansion: Collaborating with senior leadership to explore establishing international offices, including documenting regulatory and tax requirements, identifying potential banking partners, developing a cash management strategy to support operations abroad, and identifying and addressing any challenges related to cash management.
- Daily cash management: Management and monitoring of daily cash balances to ensure sufficient liquidity for all entities within the firm, including monitoring and forecasting cash flows, preparing daily cash reports, and executing funds transfers as needed.
- All Other Treasury Activities: Contributing to all treasury operations internally, including foreign currency exchange, monitoring investments, and optimizing the use of available funds, as well as ensuring compliance with relevant regulations and internal policies.
- 5-7 years in Corporate Finance, FP&A, Strategy, or Investment Banking, ideally with a mix of start-up and mature organization experience; Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Business, or Economics preferred, but not required.
- Proven ability to develop and implement financial strategy.
- Exceptional communication skills with the ability to effectively present complex financial information in a format that considers the audience.
- In-depth knowledge of Treasury operations and processes, banking systems and platforms, and deep understanding of broad financial operations.
- Expert level Excel / financial modeling.
- In addition to being technically pro?cient and operationally oriented, be entrepreneurial at heart with a growth mindset.
- Comfort with ambiguity and agile decision making, a proven ability to thrive in a fast-paced, high-growth environment and adapt to changing work environments
- Strong communication, collaboration, and in?uencing skills – be a trusted business partner to all functions within the verticals and across the operations teams.
The anticipated salary range for this role is between $189,000-$221,000, actual starting pay may vary based on a range of factors which can include experience, skills, and scope.
This role is eligible to participate in the a16z carry program and various discretionary bonus programs as well as benefit and perquisite plans including health, dental, vision, disability, life insurance, 401K plan, vacation, and sick leave. #LI-Remote
- We do only first class business and only in a first class way
- We take a long view of relationships, because we are in the relationship business
- We believe in the future and bet the firm that way
- We are all different, we recognize that, and we win
- We celebrate the good times
- We do it for the team
- We play to win
At a16z we are always looking to hire the absolute best talent and recognize that diversity in our experiences and backgrounds is what makes us stronger. We hire candidates of any race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital or family status, disability, Veteran status, and any other status. These differences are what enables us to work towards the future we envision for ourselves, our portfolio companies, and the World.