Principal Investor (Early Stage Focus)
At B Capital Ascent, we are looking for Principals who can source new early-stage investment opportunities, lead investment analyses and decisions, and help manage our growing portfolio. The Principal will manage deal teams, diligence processes, and founder relationships, coordinate syndication and negotiate terms for financings, advise portfolio companies with respect to operational activities, and develop and execute portfolio company exit strategies. We actively partner with our portfolio companies and have the unique ability to leverage BCG and its network of leading clients to help with growth. We are looking for Principals that can be active and empathetic leaders, are action-oriented, have a growth mindset, have deep intellectual curiosity, and are willing to put the firm’s success above their own to help us deliver amazing results.
BASIC JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
Sourcing new opportunities:
- Build subject matter expertise and credibility in critical areas, emerging market trends, technologies, and sectors.
- Participate actively in local start-up communities to anchor B Capital’s presence.
- Source early stage investments by leveraging your professional network, attending relevant conferences and networking events, and proactively engaging with entrepreneurs.
- Quickly assess the viability of investment opportunities and prioritize companies for further due diligence.
Leading the investment process:
- Manage a deal team, perform deep diligence, prepare analyses, and bring recommendations to the Ascent team’s investment committee.
- Leverage internal and external network to obtain expert feedback on high-potential opportunities.
- Evaluate a target company’s market opportunity, evidence of product-market fit, preparedness for growth, and returns potential.
- Manage external service providers (e.g. lawyers, auditors, expert networks) in support of the due diligence and deal execution processes.
- Develop and negotiate term sheets and transaction documents for portfolio company financings.
Driving portfolio company value:
- Deliver high-touch support to our portfolio companies, across a number of operating areas, in conjunction with our Portfolio Team.
- Support portfolio companies by attending board meetings, advising senior management, conducting research and recruiting, and assisting with financing and acquisition activities.
- Leverage the firm’s networks to connect portfolio companies with customers, corporate partners, future investors, executive and board candidates, and relevant service providers.
- Coordinate company reporting of financials and KPIs for communication within the B Capital team.
BASIC JOB REQUIREMENTS:
- Prior venture capital investing experience is required
- 5-10 years of relevant work experience (e.g., venture capital firm, venture-funded startup, top-tier consulting firm, or investment bank).
- Successful track record of investing, understanding of enterprise B2B market, and a perspective on potential investable market trends; experience identifying and determining opportunities in selected market spaces.
- Deep understanding of the startup ecosystem, networks, and deal sourcing and investment processes, particularly for new technology companies.
- Advanced quantitative and qualitative analytical skills, including financial modelling.
- Excellent interpersonal and networking skills with proven ability to develop and maintain effective business relationships necessary for sourcing investment opportunities.
- Experience leading deal negotiation, management of counsel, review of legal documents and understanding of standard venture terms and concepts.
ABOUT B CAPITAL:
B Capital is a multi-stage global investment firm that partners with extraordinary entrepreneurs to shape the future through technology. With more than $6 billion in assets under management across multiple funds, the firm focuses on seed to late-stage venture growth investments, primarily in the enterprise, financial technology, and healthcare sectors. Founded in 2015, B Capital leverages an integrated team across nine locations in the US and Asia, as well as a strategic partnership with BCG, to provide the value-added support entrepreneurs need to scale fast and efficiently, expand into new markets, and build exceptional companies. For more information, click here.
B CAPITAL GROUP CORE VALUES:
- B Honest & Trustworthy – Our people and our culture are the heart of our business. We are self-aware, supportive, and trust ourselves and each other. We speak the truth with positive intent. We hold ourselves accountable, are intellectually open, and are constantly learning and growing.
- B Open & Inclusive – Our diverse composition gives us broad and varied perspectives that drive better investments. We find ways to better ourselves and our communities, increasing transparency, fairness, and respect in every interaction. We thrive on the unique qualities of our people, and how together, these qualities make us special.
- B Collaborative – We believe in we vs I, and operate as one global team. We know that no one person has all the answers, and that we are better together. Our successes and failures are equally shared.
- B Bold – We take risks and understand that at times we may fail. We learn from our failures; we don’t repeat them and are constantly striving to be better.
- B Humble – We are humble and believe in winning together with gratitude, knowing that every finish line is the beginning of a new race. We are low ego, and lift each other up.
- B Persistent – When we get knocked down, we rise back up. We persevere, with the enduring perspective that only grit can help us overcome. We know our individual and collective goals and won’t stop short of achieving them.
- B Evolving – We innovate and advocate with boundless curiosity and creativity. We always have a startup mentality.
B Capital Global US LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under federal, state or local law.
Salary Range for NY Candidates only. The actual salary will commensurate according to relevant experience.
Salary expected range: $200,000 – $300,000