Brentwood Associates – Investment Professional (Los Angeles)
Brentwood Associates seeks to hire Associates who are highly motivated, intelligent and have demonstrated excellence in prior endeavors. The ideal candidate is a motivated self-starter and collaborative team member who can function in an entrepreneurial atmosphere with minimal supervision. Strong analytical background including both finance and accounting skills, excellent communication skills and a high level of maturity are essential.
If you are more experienced than the position summaries below suggest, please still reach out as we are always seeking to meet exceptionally talented individuals for future opportunities within our firm or portfolio.
Brentwood Associates is a Los Angeles-based private equity investment firm with a 30+ year history of investing in middle-market growth-oriented consumer and technology-enabled business services companies. Since 1984, Brentwood’s dedicated private equity team has invested in over 50 portfolio companies with an aggregate transaction value of over $6 billion. With significant experience in both investing and brand building, Brentwood is a value-added partner for entrepreneurs and senior management teams building world-class companies, with a focus on buyouts, growth equity investments and minority recapitalizations.
Associates play a critical role as part of our investment team, working closely with both senior and junior deal professionals and portfolio company management teams on value creation initiatives. They will be responsible for all aspects of the investment, due diligence and portfolio management processes. This position is a unique opportunity for a highly motivated individual to take on a wide set of responsibilities and make a significant impact in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment.
- Play a lead role in originating and closing deals
- Generate a robust pipeline of actionable opportunities that align with Brentwood’s target investment criteria
- Demonstrated ability to lead a research-driven investment thesis
- Development of additive network, including ownership of 4-5 deep sector relationships
- Proven ability to understand the financial, strategic, and operational drivers of businesses
- Ability to accurately analyze the financial profile of businesses
- Effective oversight of development of detailed financial models (operating and returns)
- Ability to thoughtfully present and defend findings during senior level Investment Committee discussions
- Ability to create complex transaction / security structures for various situations
- Lead role quarterbacking diligence – is a strong steward of diligence in line with Brentwood’s internal processes
- Develops comprehensive diligence plans in line with Brentwood internal guidance
- Manages 3rd party resources and financing processes
- Effective communication to Investment Committee throughout, communicating updates and being transparent with findings
- Ability to develop management team relationships
- Implement governance best practices and drive Board initiatives
- Board-level involvement with portfolio companies
- Develop additive banker and/or strategic relationships to facilitate exits
- Plays an active support role recruiting talent to the firm
What We Are Looking For:
- Up to 6 years of directly relevant experience with private equity, corporate development, investment banking, or strategy consulting experience
- Undergraduate degree from a top-tier university with exceptional academic achievement
- Mature, professional candidate who is a self-starter willing to accept a large amount of responsibility
- Experience leading lean investment teams, with ability to operate at all levels (ability to build models and dig in, but also lead large group meetings)
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills with the ability to comprehend and handle large volumes of data and summarize key facts and conclusions in a concise and persuasive manner
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills. Must be able to effectively communicate with all stakeholders
- Advanced Microsoft Excel & PowerPoint skills required, experience building models and decks
- Comfort with ambiguity in a fast-paced environment
- Extreme attention to detail with a strong sense of ownership
- Low ego attitude with a willingness to shift from high-level critical thinking to necessary mundane tasks required to complete a job
- Strong work ethic, positive attitude, and enthusiasm for the role
- Interest and/or previous experience in the recurring software/tech/business services industry a plus
Compensation and Benefits:
Competitive package based upon experience and educational background.
Brentwood is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Brentwood is not accepting unsolicited resumes from search firms. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Brentwood directly, via-email, or the internet without a valid written search agreement in place will be deemed the sole property of Brentwood, and no fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Brentwood. Brentwood does not post salary ranges externally, so any salary estimates available were not provided by Brentwood and may not be accurate.