Associate/Senior Associate, Growth Equity Funds
Make an impact at a global and dynamic investment organization
When you invest your career in CPP Investments, you join one of the most respected and fastest growing institutional investors in the world. With current assets under management valued in excess of $500 billion, CPP Investments is a professional investment management organization that globally invests the funds of the Canada Pension Plan (CPP) to help ensure long-term sustainability. The CPP Fund is projected to reach $3 trillion by 2050. CPP Investments invests in all major asset classes, including public equity, private equity, real estate, infrastructure and fixed-income instruments, and is headquartered in Toronto with offices in Hong Kong, London, Luxembourg, Mumbai, New York City, San Francisco, São Paulo and Sydney.
CPP Investments?attracts and selects high-calibre individuals from top-tier institutions around the globe.? Join our team and look forward to:
- Diverse and inspiring colleagues and approachable leaders
- Stimulating work in a fast-paced, intellectually challenging environment
- Accelerated exposure and responsibility
- Global career development opportunities
- Being motivated every day by CPP Investments’ important social purpose and unshakable principles
- A flexible/hybrid work environment combining in office collaboration and remote working
- A deeply rooted culture of Integrity, Partnership and High Performance
If you share a passion for performance, value a collegial and collaborative culture, and approach everything with the highest integrity, here’s an opportunity for you to invest your career at CPP Investments.
We are currently recruiting for an Associate or Senior Associate to join the Growth Equity Funds team which sits within the Private Equity Department. This role will involve evaluating and investing in funds and co-investments across the venture capital and growth asset classes. The position will be based in San Francisco, with travel expected.
The Growth Equity (‘GE”) team builds positions in the most attractive venture and growth-backed companies by investing across a company’s lifecycle through a combination of a partnership model and a direct thematic model. The GE team invests in venture and growth funds as well as directly into companies and through co-investments across the enterprise software, fintech, climate and healthcare sectors primarily in North America and Europe. GE currently consists of 20 investment professionals across offices in San Francisco and Toronto and is continuing to grow.
In this role, you will primarily be responsible for originating, executing, and managing fund commitments, co-investments, and occasionally direct investments. You will play an integral role in implementing and evolving the strategy to maintain a top-tier Funds portfolio that will generate outsized returns and drive deal flow and insights for the rest of the organization.
As an ideal candidate, you are recognized for your collaborative approach to critical and innovative thinking. You have started to build experience and a track record in venture and growth investing, with fund experience and an established network a plus.
In the role, you will work collaboratively to:
- Research, analyze and execute fund commitments, co-investments and, occasionally direct investments
- Help in the execution of a full investment process, including the review and negotiation of key deal terms
- Prepare and present investment recommendations to various internal Investment Committees
- Develop an in-depth knowledge of fund portfolios and specific companies to surface direct investment opportunities
- Develop and evolve the GE Funds strategy via market research, deal origination, modeling, and benchmarking
- Build relationships with venture capital and growth firms, limited partners, and other market participants in connection with origination, due diligence, and post-investment monitoring
- Participate in the ongoing mentorship and development of investment professionals
- Collaborate with other teams/departments across Private Equity, and occasionally other asset classes, to deliver strategic projects which advance CPP Investments’ long-term priorities
Consider applying if you have:
- 4-7 years related work experience (e.g., investment banking, consulting, private equity, venture capital, fund investing, business development, entrepreneurship, technology, etc.)
- Fund investing experience a plus
- Passion for the venture ecosystem and interest investing across Fund and Direct strategies
- Superior interpersonal and relationship buildings skills
- Clear and proven communication and presentation skills (oral and written)
- Excellent research, modeling, and analytical skills
- Experience conducting due diligence under a compressed timeline, juggling multiple workstreams, and working with external stakeholders (e.g., venture capital firms, investment banks, lawyers etc.)
- Strong ability to work effectively in a team environment with a commitment to fostering an inclusive culture
- Willingness to travel (10-25% time)
The salary range for this position is:
Associate: $145 000 to $180 000 US
Senior Associate: $185 000 to $220 000 US
US state/city legislation requires CPP investments to include a reasonable estimate of the compensation range for this role. The base salary range shown here is a reasonable expectation for the posted role and is part of a competitive total rewards package which includes comprehensive benefits, a performance-based incentive plan, a 401 (k) plan and paid time off. Actual salaries may vary and may be above or below the range based on various factors, including, but not limited to, experience and expertise.
Visit our LinkedIn Career Page or Follow us on LinkedIn. #LI-JB1
At CPP Investments, we are committed to diversity and equitable access to employment opportunities based on ability.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
We thank all applicants for their interest but will only contact candidates selected to advance in the hiring process.
Our Commitment to Inclusion and Diversity:
In addition to being dedicated to building a workforce that reflects diverse talent, we are committed to fostering an inclusive and accessible experience. If you require an accommodation for any part of the recruitment process (including alternate formats of materials, accessible meeting rooms, etc.), please let us know and we will work with you to meet your needs.
CPP Investments does not accept resumes from employment placement agencies, head-hunters or recruitment suppliers that are not in a formal contractual arrangement with us. Our recruitment supplier arrangements are restricted to specific hiring needs and do not include this or other web-site job postings. Any resume or other information received from a supplier not approved by CPP Investments to provide resumes to this posting or web-site will be considered unsolicited and will not be considered. CPP Investments will not pay any referral, placement or other fee for the supply of such unsolicited resumes or information.
Mandatory Vaccine Policy
All employees in the Toronto, New York, San Francisco, Mumbai, Sydney, Hong Kong, and Sao Paulo offices will be required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. Accommodations to this policy will be made for medical or other protected grounds. Please contact us to discuss any accommodation needs.