JMI Equity is a growth equity firm focused on investing in leading software companies. For over three decades, JMI has partnered with exceptional founders, entrepreneurs, and management teams at high-growth software companies to provide flexible capital, industry expertise, and operational support to build businesses of enduring value. To date, JMI has invested in over 180 software businesses in North America and Europe and completed over 115 exits. Today, the Firm’s portfolio of industry-leading cloud software companies represents $8 billion in combined revenue, $65 billion in aggregate enterprise value, and over 34,000 jobs.
JMI is an active investor. Our portfolio companies have distinguished themselves with proven business models and we partner with management teams to build industry leaders. We take seats on the boards of our portfolio companies and assist with strategic planning, executive recruiting, capital allocation, acquisitions, and liquidity options. Typical JMI investments range from $20 million to $200 million.
We are committed to helping our companies succeed and have invested successfully at all stages in the business lifecycle. We provide capital for growth, recapitalizations, acquisitions, and buyouts.
JMI’s investment team currently consists of 30 investment professionals located in Baltimore/DC and San Diego. In addition, JMI has an Operating Team who works closely with the investment teams and management teams to add value to portfolio companies.
- Position: Analyst
- Location: San Diego, CA / Washington DC
- Start Date: Approximately July 26, 2024
JMI’s analyst program offers a unique entry into the private equity industry with a top tier software-focused firm. Working directly with senior team members, analysts spend their time on transaction sourcing and interacting directly with CEOs of growing enterprise software firms on a daily basis. JMI’s industry presence and relationships allow it to see a constant flow of potential investments; as an analyst you will get experience evaluating new investments and playing a critical role in the JMI sourcing process by leading sourcing initiatives.
JMI has a strong belief in training its investment professionals and practices of promoting from within. High-performing analysts may have the opportunity to continue on an Associate track. However, we are also committed to helping analysts transition to other investing roles, operating roles and top graduate schools.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Developing relationships with companies (e.g., CEOs, CFOs) to source investments
- Responsible for connecting with entrepreneurs daily (via phone, email, and in-person), learning about their businesses, asking them about their challenges and building multi-year relationships
- Our sales cycle starts when the business is small and growing, and while it might not be a fit today, your job will be to maintain an ongoing dialogue with the CEO and track overtime to see if we would eventually be a good partner to help them reach the next stage of growth
- Work within sector teams to develop and prosecute investment theses in the software space
- Exposure to executing due diligence (including market, customer, and competitive analysis; financial modeling; and deal structuring) – we also provide the opportunity to build these skills through independent learning.
Ideal qualifications include:
- Zero (Class of 2024) to two years of work experience
- Experience or interest in the software and tech space
- Ability to build and maintain relationships; enjoy building a network of contacts
- Comfort speaking on the phone (including cold calls) and making connections
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Self-starter with the ability to operate effectively with limited supervision; strong organizational skills
- Highly collaborative team player; likes winning as a team
- Strong academic achievement with an undergraduate degree
- Willing to relocate
Compensation will be competitive with the market and will consist of a $100,000 base salary, year-end bonus, and deal bonuses for investments sourced by an Analyst.
For more information, please contact Kitty Glick at (410) 951-0221 | email@example.com
JMI Equity believes in diversity and is committed to fostering and preserving a culture of diversity and inclusion, both internally and at our portfolio companies. JMI seeks to continue building a team comprised of talented individuals with a diverse mix of expertise, experience, skills, and backgrounds. All qualified applicants will receive consideration of employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other classification prohibited by applicable law.
DISCLAIMER: With an uptick in fraudulent activity regarding fake job offers, we wanted to make candidates aware of the JMI candidate experience. All candidates in the JMI interview process will be contacted by JMI employees (listed on our website) using @jmi.com email addresses. Interviews will be conducted by multiple team members, including our talent team, and will be in-person onsite (or via video) – never via chat.