KKR Capstone Healthcare Principal
KKR & Co. Inc., together with its subsidiaries, is a leading global investment firm that offers alternative asset management and capital markets and insurance solutions. KKR aims to generate attractive investment returns by following a patient and disciplined investment approach, employing world-class people, and supporting growth in its portfolio companies and communities. KKR sponsors investment funds that invest in private equity, credit and real assets and has strategic partners that manage hedge funds. KKR’s insurance subsidiaries offer retirement, life and reinsurance products under the management of The Global Atlantic Financial Group.
KKR Capstone serves as the operational arm of KKR, working with KKR and management teams of portfolio companies to maximize investor returns throughout the deal cycle. As an integral and critical part of KKR’s value creation process, KKR Capstone is involved in every stage of a transaction. The clear emphasis, however, lies on the implementation of profound strategic, organizational, and operational changes at a portfolio company post transaction.
Since its inception in 2000, KKR Capstone has become a key global resource for strengthening operations in KKR’s portfolio companies. KKR Capstone executives work side by side with the respective management teams to help identify and implement operational improvements. This dedicated team of over 80 operational executives works exclusively with KKR’s portfolio companies, delivering management expertise in areas such as operations, pricing, organizational design, strategic sourcing, sales force effectiveness, as well as providing expertise in all of KKR’s industry groups.
KKR Capstone executives are based in New York, Menlo Park, London, Beijing, and Hong Kong.
KKR Capstone is seeking to add a Principal to work exclusively with KKR’s Health Care investment team. The Principal / Operating Executive will work closely with the management teams of KKR’s Health Care portfolio companies on value creation opportunities and operational change initiatives.
The core focus of this role will be to drive the operational change agenda for KKR’s Health Care portfolio companies from start to finish. This will include working closely with the investment team on the due diligence of new investment opportunities, as well as advising management teams and supporting implementation of key strategic priorities, organizational change, and operational improvements.
The primary responsibilities for the role include:
- Advising management teams (and implementing this advice), on key strategic issues, organizational change and operational improvements. In this role, the Principal acts as an advisor and change agent post transaction. Projects at a portfolio company may last anywhere from three months to one year or more. This is therefore both a “monitoring” and “doing” role and will take up the majority of the Principal’s time Within this portfolio company context, the primary responsibilities are:
- Identifying and aligning with the management team and Board of Directors on the key operational value creation opportunities for the business
- Working closely with the organization to design solutions/programs to capture these opportunities
- Driving implementation of these solutions/programs, while ensuring impact is measurable and targets for the impact are clear. Wherever possible, the work should be reflected in the operating budget of the portfolio company and progress managed through the standard management processes of the company
- Realizing results – candidates will not be successful unless they are highly results oriented
- Partnering closely with and building capability within the management teams
- Interim Management. This is a role typically taken on during turnaround situations for a limited duration.
- Due Diligence. The Principal will also work closely with the KKR Health Care investment team on the due diligence of new investment opportunities. This typically involves the structuring of the KKR / Capstone interaction and the translation of the investment thesis into parts of the overall 100-day plan.
Candidates will have a background in strategy consulting from a best-in-class global management consulting firm and will ideally bring 8+ years of total consulting and/or operating experience. The ideal candidate will bring strong stakeholder management skills, with the ability to work collaboratively with the C-Suite and take a hands-on approach in driving real operational change, specifically within the Health Care sector. They will have outstanding intellectual and analytical horsepower, as well as interpersonal skills.
The ideal candidate will bring broad industry expertise in the Health Care space, including experiences working with Biopharmaceuticals, Medical Devices, Medical Technology, Healthcare Information Technology, and Health Care services.
CRITICAL COMPETENCIES FOR SUCCESS
- Proactive and strategic thinker with demonstrated ability to gather data, perform advanced quantitative analyses, and drive long-term operational improvement and performance enhancement
- Advanced problem-solving and decision-making capabilities to assist in portfolio operations including identifying talent gaps, perform due diligence processes, develop networks with consulting firms and experts, etc.
- Excellent project management skills with the ability to take initiative , resolve issues, and deliver results through superior customer service skills
- Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills, both verbal and written, to collaborate with company executives across all levels in a clear and professional manner
- Ability to deal with ambiguity with minimal supervision and apply innovative judgement to develop best practices and value creation
- Experience in change management or operational improvement, preferably in a dynamic, fast-paced and pressurized environment or financial services firm
KKR is an equal opportunity employer. Individuals seeking employment are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other category protected by applicable law.