Senior Investment Associate
Who you are:
- You are deeply passionate about technology and entrepreneurship and have a point of view about how new technology can disrupt specific markets.
- You have a demonstrated point of view and expertise in one of our core areas of investment.
- You are analytical in your approach – you can build and navigate financial models, cap tables, and large data sets to distill the key points and tell a story.
- You have a meaningful network of founder relationships and other early-stage investors. You love discussing new concepts and have developed some authority or leadership in the startup community. Meeting new people gives you energy. Your opinion is valued, and top founders seek you out for feedback.
- You are tenacious and curious. You don’t accept the commonly accepted wisdom or easy answer but have a habit of digging deeper to develop true insight.
- You are comfortable and proficient working with data, including using Microsoft Excel, Pitchbook, and PowerPoint to generate insights and communicate.
- You are a strong communicator and able to persuade others to your point of view by synthesizing facts and data into a compelling narrative.
- You have 5-7 years of relevant experience that informs your skills and point of view (typically at an investment bank, a consulting firm, a technology company, and including experience at a venture fund as well).
- You have a strong academic track record and a history of achievement.
What you’ll be doing:
- Deal sourcing. Our associates play a critical role in understanding the entrepreneurial landscape, building relationships with founders and investors, and surfacing potential investments even before the companies seek capital.
- Conducting diligence. Our associate-partner teams go deep into financial analysis, market research, customer interviews, product reviews, and competitive intelligence to assess an opportunity before we decide to invest. Associates are responsible for quantitative and qualitative diligence and drafting the investment memos that support our decision-making.
- Supporting our portfolio. Our associates work closely with portfolio management teams as board observers and in helping founding teams access M13’s extensive platform resources. Often, associates form deep relationships with portfolio management and are considered trusted advisors.
- Developing our perspective on the markets where we invest. Every member of our investment team spends time building out investment theses across our key investment sectors – commerce, health, work, and fintech – and our two technology lenses – AI and web3. This work involves deep research on the market landscape and trends driving growth, as well as surveying the startups addressing each market.
What’s in it for you:
- One Team, One Dream – A chance to work alongside world-class VC talent in a collaborative and developmentally-focused culture that is respectful, inclusive, diverse, and inspiring. You’ll do the best work of your life here and have fun doing it.
- Comprehensive Health Package – Medical, dental, and vision plans that are thoughtful and supportive of the needs of each M13 employee.
- Open PTO Policy – We’re focused on healthy work/life balance and therefore set no firm guidelines as to how much time off each employee is permitted to take.
- Investment in Your Future – Employee Profit Sharing Program and 401(k) Retirement Plan with matching for all employees. Many more excellent perks available within our comprehensive benefits program.