MSD Growth Analyst
About BDT & MSD Partners:
BDT & MSD Partners is a merchant bank with an advisory and investment platform built to serve the distinct needs of business owners and strategic, long-term investors. We are distinguished by our decades of experience advising at the intersection of founders, families, and businesses, as well as by our differentiated capital base and culture of aligned investing. Since 2010, our affiliated funds have deployed more than $50 billion across our investment strategies.
BDT & MSD Partners was established in 2023 through the combination of BDT & Company, the merchant bank to the closely held, founded in 2009 by Byron Trott, and MSD Partners, a premier investment firm that since 2009 has invested on behalf of Dell Technologies Founder Michael Dell, his family, and other like-minded investors.
Business Title: MSD Growth Analyst
Department: MSD Growth
Reports to: Dan Bitar & Victor Hwang
Location: San Francisco
Job Type: Full-time, exempt
The co-heads of MSD Growth are seeking to hire one Analyst in the newly formed San Francisco office. In this newly created role, the Analyst will partner with the MSD Growth co-heads and investors in evaluating and developing investment theses, conducting extensive due diligence on potential investment opportunities, including customer calls, management meetings, financial modeling, exit and comparable analyses, and supporting all aspects of the deal execution process. The Analyst will also actively monitor the portfolio companies. This is a uniquely entrepreneurial opportunity to join a newly formed investment strategy built to scale rapidly and for long term success at the ground floor. It is expected that the Analyst will thrive in an entrepreneurial environment and demonstrate a high level of personal and intellectual integrity, curiosity, ability to build strong relationships, commitment to teamwork and working collaboratively, and a passion for growth-oriented investments.
- Conduct, lead, and manage comprehensive due diligence on prospective investments including deep financial analysis, valuation, and modelling, customer checking calls and management diligence meetings.
- Develop investment theses and themes based on market and industry intelligence and in-depth fundamental research.
- Build and maintain financial models and conduct extensive valuation analyses for new and portfolio investments.
- Support investment committee review process and draft internal and external memorandums.
- Work extensively on building out our CRM, including logging in calls, notes and managing pipeline analyses.
- Assisting in the diligence, investment in and ongoing monitoring of venture capital fund investments to drive market intelligence, thematic sourcing, and direct investment deal flow.
- Work closely with the co-heads of the group on executing investment opportunities across various sectors.
- Ideally a minimum of one year of relevant experience (investment banking, equity research, consulting, or direct technology investing experience)
- Strong analytical skills and quantitative aptitude
- Strong financial analysis skills (Excel modelling, CapIQ) with a keen understanding of technology company valuation frameworks
- Strong familiarity and use of cloud-based CRM packages (e.g. Affinity, DealCloud)
- Motivated team player who can take on many roles supporting a lean team; ability to work independently and collaboratively, take initiative, and deliver results
- Demonstrated ability to learn quickly and develop deep understanding of new sectors and businesses; passionate about building a business from ground up
- Superior communication skills and ability to articulate views in a clear and succinct manner
- Ability to perform at a high-level within a fast paced, entrepreneurial culture with a focus on excellence
- Candidate must already be based in the San Francisco Bay Area