Associate Director, Business Development (Austin, TX or San Francisco, CA)
Position Title: Associate Director, Business Development
Reports To: Vice President, Business Development
Department: Business Development
Location: Austin, Texas or San Francisco, California
Founded in 2008, Serent Capital is a leading lower-middle market private equity firm focused on investing in founder led, vertically focused B2B technology and tech-enabled services companies with nearly $5 billion of assets under management. We strive to be an involved, value-added investor, capable of providing significant operational and strategic support to our portfolio company CEOs on the most critical issues that they face as the company’s scale.
Our mission is to deliver extraordinary returns by partnering with outstanding executive teams to grow exceptional businesses. Our team is comprised of investment and operating professionals that have experience as executives, strategic advisors, and investors in growing businesses.
The Associate Director of Business Development role is an integral part of Serent’s proprietary sourcing strategy. The Associate Director will proactively identify and cultivate relationships with executives at leading companies that may be investment opportunities for the firm. In collaboration with the investment team, this role presides over researching investment themes, developing the firm’s network in new markets, and uncovering growth companies with the end goal of generating proprietary investment opportunities for the firm. The right candidate will have a passion for building relationships while working at the intersection of technology and finance; be self-motivated and organized, with a high degree of initiative; and enjoy leveraging a methodical approach to results.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Research investment themes of interest to Serent and construct market maps, perform sector research, and compile target lists of prospect companies
- Lead outreach to, and build long-term relationships with, founders and CEOs of target companies to generate high-quality, actionable investment opportunities for the firm
- Expand Serent’s relationship network with key industry contacts within target themes (e.g.,c-level executives, consultants, board members, investment bankers) to enhance Serent’s market reach and domain expertise
- Provide execution support on initiatives aimed at scaling the business development function
- 2+ years of substantial experience in external, business development-focused roles within financial services, consulting, research and/or technology companies
- Self-starter with a strong sense of urgency and ability to deal with ambiguity in a fast-paced, constantly changing environment
- Proven track record of engaging and building relationship with senior executives
- Demonstrated leadership ability with capacity to quickly build trust and rapport with founders and CEOs as the face of Serent
- Fundamental understanding of accounting and corporate finance
- Creativity and entrepreneurial spirit
- Excellent analytical, writing and communications skills
- Strong work ethic and attention to detail
Up to 50%