Managing Director/Director – Business Development
StepStone Group with capabilities across private market solutions in Private Equity, Private Debt, Real Estate and Infrastructure is seeking a well-connected Director or Managing Director focused on institutional business development. The position officially based out of the Tokyo office will be tasked with growing both the firm’s investor and asset base by winning institutional and possibly retail business in Japan across four asset classes. Additionally, the professional will be asked to travel frequently to meet clients in person.
Essential Job Functions:
The Business Development role has a number of essential functions including but not limited to:
- Developing, enhancing and refining StepStone’s competitive positioning, marketing strategies and sales messages with respect to its asset management and advisory offerings or services.
- Proactively undertake prospective investor outreach soliciting StepStone offerings across Private Credit, Private Equity, Infrastructure and Real Estate.
- Ability to interact with CIO’s of Pensions and Insurance Companies on Liability Matching.
- Knowledge of Private Wealth, and Family Offices.
- Lead the sales process from prospecting to closing.
- Reactively respond to existing client inquires as it relates to business development.
- Arrange and participate in presentation meetings between prospective/existing clients and representatives of StepStone.
- Build quality pipelines of institutional investors who will invest into SSG solutions and funds.
- Create and meet targets and KPIs set forth in an SSG annual business plan.
- Maintain and track outreach activity in the firms CRM software (Salesforce).
- Attend regular internal meetings and strategy educations sessions.
- Meet regularly with the Business Development Coordinator to discuss activity, pipeline and feedback.
Education and/or Work Experience Requirements:
- University/Bachelor’s degree
- 10+ years of private market or comparable institutional sales experience
- Proven track record of business development in the Japan market
- Background in Private Markets preferred, but not mandatory
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Local market and language skils
- Fluent in English
- Acute attention to detail with excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to prioritize activities and manage a pipeline of prospects
- Ability quickly learn new offerings and solutions
- Consistently offer best-in-class prospect and client engagement
- Proficiency with Salesforce a plus
- Willingness to travel and work virtually as needed
- Commitment to being a team player
- Commitment to learning
Working out of 24 offices in 15 countries, StepStone has a truly global viewpoint. As people are our biggest asset, we offer resources to help our employees reach their full potential. Our principles are based on integrity, transparency, respect and creativity, which together define how we do business.
When you choose to work at StepStone, you’ll find a group of professionals who are passionate about anticipating changes, solving problems and working together to make it all happen. Our integrated global team shares insights into how managers think and operate, as well as how they might perform.
StepStone offers a competitive compensation package including salary and incentive compensation for all full time hires, as well as a comprehensive benefits package.
We offer a range of benefits which include comprehensive healthcare, strong retirement plan, a mental health well-being program, paid time off, student loan repayment program, and several wellness initiatives.
Disclaimer / Policy Statements
At StepStone, diversity, equity and inclusion are an integral part of our culture. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer that strives to create an inclusive environment that empowers our employees and allows them to be heard, regardless of title or tenure. Our organizational community features multiple Employment Resource Groups representing our dedication to Diversity, Equity & Inclusion.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, StepStone does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship status, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law.