Vice President (2023): Technology
What you’ll do
The firm seeks to recruit a Vice President to its technology team for its Menlo Park office. The Vice President will work closely with a highly collaborative technology team that focuses on $10-$100M growth equity investments in rapidly growing, capital efficient technology companies. The team is currently investing Summit Partners Venture Capital Fund V, a $1 billion fund that was raised in 2020.
Our new Vice President will lead thematic sector research, investment origination and diligence processes and will spend significant time with portfolio company management teams. This person will additionally attend portfolio company board meetings as an observer and potentially as a Director. This critical addition to the team will play a central role in furthering Summit’s reputation as one of the leading technology investors in the world. High performers in the role have the opportunity to progress within Summit, eventually to a Managing Director position.
The Vice President’s responsibilities include:
- Participating in all areas of the deal process, including thematic ideation, sourcing, execution, and portfolio management
- Leading pre-deal execution and diligence workflows
- Managing and coaching Analysts / Associates on the team and acting as a leader within Summit
- Developing theses, mapping relevant industry sectors, and establishing industry relationships to generate new deal flow
- Informing portfolio company strategy, identifying opportunities and implementing solutions for operational improvement
- Helping Summit make sound investment decisions, providing outstanding service levels to portfolio companies and co-workers and delivering outsized returns to the firm’s Limited Partners
- Three or more years of relevant investing experience with a demonstrable deal track record, and two to three years of experience at a top-tier investment bank or other role where you developed strong financial modeling skills. Additional experience working in growth stage companies is considered a plus
- Comfort working independently, and in collaboration with colleagues, entrepreneurs, and third-party advisors
- A strong work ethic and an ability to flex up or down on the team as needed
- Strong business judgement, analytical ability, critical thinking and problem-solving skills, and you’re comfortable making decisions with imperfect information
- Excellent presentation and communication skills (written and verbal), and are strong at presenting to the most senior executives
- Experience being a leader and coach, and can motivate and develop a junior team
- Strong interpersonal skills – engaging personality, ability to persuade, confident but humble; perceptive about people, enjoys the company of entrepreneurs
- Comfort with a highly unpredictable and dynamic schedule, including, at times, significant travel
At Summit we believe the ingredients of a great investor are similar to those of a great entrepreneur. Both require passion and drive, a voracious appetite to learn, insatiable curiosity, a genuine interest in business, technology and how companies work and, perhaps most importantly, a resilience and relentless optimism that the next great company is right around the corner. We value diversity in all forms and work to create an inclusive and open culture where the best ideas win. We look for leaders who are humble, hungry and strong team players and who like to have fun.