Founded by Peter Chernin, Jesse Jacobs, and Mike Kerns, The Chernin Group (TCG) is a multi-stage investment firm dedicated to building consumer businesses. With a focus on majority and significant minority investments in growing consumer businesses, the TCG team has a track record of working with world-class consumer brands in digital media, commerce, marketplaces, sports, gaming, consumer finance, consumer blockchain and heal and wellness brands and platforms. The TCG portfolio includes Dapper Labs, Exploding Kittens, Food52, Funko, Headspace, Hodinkee, MeatEater, The Pro’s Closet, and Zed Run and more. For more information visit tcg.co
As TCG continues to grow, we are looking for a detail-oriented and efficient Operations Associate to own and drive many parts of the fund operations responsibilities. The Operations Associate will be a core member of our collaborative and fast-paced ops team, reporting directly to the CFO. He/she will work with both internal and external stakeholders (finance team, investment team and partners, investors, portfolio companies, and key vendors).
Objectives & Responsibilities
- Driving the firm’s quarterly valuation process, including: developing valuation approaches, socializing with deal leads and building consensus, understanding and implementing industry best practices, and presenting to the firm’s valuation committee.
- Owning the portfolio monitoring process and portfolio company metrics. Ensuring data accuracy as well as usability for stakeholders (IR and investors, investment team, partners, portco finance leaders, etc.).
- Maintaining investment schedules and ensuring performance metrics are accurately provided each quarter. Working with Partner of Capital Formation (fundraising) to build investor presentations as well as quarterly LP reports.
- Modeling key strategic initiatives around the current and potential future fund vehicles; Scenario planning/forecasting for portfolio outcomes and conducting ad-hoc analysis as needed.
- Interfacing with the firm’s investors to answer questions and requests as needed.
- Automating and optimizing processes, providing analysis, reporting and support, as needed for both TCG firm and specific portfolio company initiatives.
- Ownership of various internal TCG processes and tools, including data benchmarking repositories, portco kick-off process, and internal CRM/pipeline management.
- Deriving insights from data that will facilitate the identification of potential vectors of operational efficiencies or new vectors of growth. Working with our internal data team to provide data and insights that will help management teams across our portfolio and our core investment team run and grow their businesses.
- Working with outside, third party vendors that support the TCG team, and facilitating connections of preferred TCG third party vendors with our portfolio companies.
- Regularly interact with firm Partners, the complete investment team, the CFO and department heads across the firm as well as portfolio company leadership.
Candidate Background & Attributes
- Demonstrated interest in and passion for investing, media, entertainment and consumer internet.
- Strong analytical skills and business judgment; dedication to zero-defect data analysis.
- Minimum 3-years of experience in consulting, investment banking, PE/VC, corporate development/strategy, or similar role. Strategy consulting experience is a big plus.
- Knowledge of venture capital and private equity concepts.
- Intellectual curiosity, strategic thinking, and capacity for problem-solving.
- Entrepreneurial, self-starter who excels in a small team environment and is flexible and able to handle a wide range of assignments and multiple projects at any given time.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills; ability to interact independently with senior leaders.
- Strong work ethic, integrity, and ambition.
- Additional, but not required:
- MBA or undergraduate degree in business or economics
- Operating experience in a media, consumer or internet business
- Consulting experience
Expected annual base salary range: $150,000 – $175,000
Actual base salary within that range will be determined by several components including but not limited to the individual’s experience, skills, qualifications and job location. For roles located outside of the US, please disregard the posted salary bands as these roles will follow a separate compensation process based on local market comparables.
Additional compensation: Base salary does not include other forms of compensation or benefits offered in connection with the advertised role.