About the Associate role
- Develop trusted, relationships with founders, coinvestors and other networks in the ecosystem to drive quality deal sourcing.
- Support due diligence efforts including analyzing data, leading market research, conducting diligence calls and authoring investment memos.
- Develop sector understanding through market mapping work in conjunction with the partners.
- Provide thoughtful investment perspective to contribute to investment discussions across multiple opportunities.
- Provide meaningful value to portfolio companies by assisting Partners and developing advisory relationships with founders and management at portfolio companies, including; identifying and making introductions to potential hires, customers, or services providers.
- Demonstrate effective and thoughtful communication across the ecosystem that elevates the Twelve Below brand.
- Support Partners with ongoing LP and portfolio reporting work.
- In person: must be available to work full-time in NYC in our Union Square office. We believe the strongest work happens together, in person, five days a week and we expect the same of our growing team.
- Self-starter: you have an entrepreneur’s mindset and are capable of independently running with ideas and projects with substantial ambiguity. You are resourceful, passionate about ownership and willing to hustle to win deals. You know how to thoughtfully cold email a founder or customer to engage them and build a relationship.
- Deeply curious: you love being persistent, connecting with experts, listening to podcasts and reading anything you can get your hands on about the new topics. You’re able to maintain an open mind while developing a strong opinion.
- Passionate: you’re deeply passionate about technology and learning to become a great investor. The right person doesn’t view this as a 9–5 job and believes hard work and operating with a sense of urgency is a competitive advantage. We greatly value speed of communication and an “always on” mentality.
- Network-builder: you’re comfortable developing relationships with industry leaders from the ground up and have a deep knowledge of technology investing as well as a strong understanding of the VC ecosystem.
- Entrepreneurial: you are eager to engage in the venture and startup ecosystem and can quickly build credibility with founders.
- Detail oriented: you know that attention to detail is synonymous with reputation. You triple check your work before sending but recognize that speed is critical.
- Storyteller: you’re able to learn rapidly, develop a strong point of view, and communicate compelling narratives.
- Data-driven: you have a strong analytical toolkit, potentially from strategy consulting, investment banking or an investing role. You’re comfortable with financial models and can quickly assess the feasibility and scalability of a new venture idea.
Frequently Asked Questions
Below is a list of frequently asked questions, which we will occasionally update.
How long is the Associate program?
We view this as a 2–3 year program with exceptional performers being considered for promotion.
What is the process for this role?
All applications must submit a fully complete application below. We will reach out for selected applicants for round 2 interviews that will be a mix of in person and Zoom.
By when will you make an offer?
We expect to make an offer by the end of 2023. Applicants should be available to start work in January 2024 in NYC.
What prior experience/education is required?
We have a preference for applicants with 1–3 years of experience in technology or investing.
Twelve Below is an NYC-based early-stage venture capital firm managed by Taylor Greene and Byron Ling. Twelve Below partners with exceptional founders with breakthrough ideas at the pre-seed and seed stages building software businesses in fintech, healthcare, SMB and energy. While most of the portfolio companies are located in New York City, we make selective thesis-driven investments in other geographies.