Learn SaaS Metrics & Financial Modeling for Software Investors
The First Course Designed For Buyside Software Investing
Gain the knowledge you need on SaaS metrics and financial modeling to stand out in the competitive recruiting process, or to excel on the job.
Hellman & Friedman
Morgan Stanley Tech
Get An Edge By Mastering SaaS Metrics & Financial Modeling
The course is comprised of easy-to-follow video tutorials that dive deep into each topic. Each section includes supplemental templates, spreadsheets, and PDFs for download.
- Introduction to software business model
- Pros and cons of the software-as-a-service business model
- Growth opportunities and scalability
- Risk factors and debt capacity
- How to calculate the top SaaS financial metrics for investors
- When and how to use these metrics as an investor
- Define ranges for “Good/Bad/OK” for each metric
- Understanding how software revenue is accounted for
- Understand how software revenue flows through all financial statements
- Understand the interplay between billings, bookings, deferred revenue, unearned revenue, and backlog
- How to build a revenue model for software
- Understand the accounting treatment and how to model the different pricing models
- Understand how different licenses flow through financial statements
- Understand the pros and cons from financial perspective of each business model
- What are the common expenses incurred by software companies
- How to build a financial model projection for each expense
- How to build an ARR/MRR waterfall
- Understand important retention metrics and how they apply to cohort analysis
- Understanding how to perform retention analysis both at the cohort level and at the overall company reporting level
About THE INSTRUCTOR
Mike Hinckley Is a Financial Modeling Expert, Based in San Francisco
10+ years of finance & growth stage experience
Investor at leading growth firm with $86b in assets
Operator at General Atlantic's portfolio company
Graduate of top business school
100% Money Back Guarantee
If you aren’t satisfied, for any reason, just send me an email at email@example.com within 14 days of your purchase and you’ll get a full refund.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you have any questions not answered below, feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org, and I’ll answer as soon as I can!
The course is designed for anyone who is specifically interested in or applying for software or SaaS investing roles.
- Undergrad analyst or internship
- Pre-MBA associate (on-cycle or off-cycle)
- Post-MBA associate or VP
If you have no experience with financial modeling basics (e.g. 3-statement models), I'd recommend that you start there instead of this course.
I offer a 100% money back guarantee. If you don't like it, email me at email@example.com for any reason within 14 days, and I'll refund you.
You'll get immediate access to the course right after you purchase!
You will have 2-years of access! The idea behind this is to allow students to purchase with the peace-of-mind that they can utilize the course materials to prepare for interviews over multiple recruiting cycles!
My flagship Growth Equity course gives a brief intro to some SaaS metrics & financial modeling concepts, but this course covers many more topics and goes into MUCH more depth.
In this course, I go into the details of how professional software investors use metrics and financial models to analyze software companies, whereas in the growth equity course I spend most of the time explaining financial modeling concepts that are common to all growth investing, regardless of industry.
Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org and I'll get back to you ASAP