Health and Social Impact Sr Associate
TPG is a leading global alternative asset management firm, founded in San Francisco in 1992, with $212 billion of assets under management and investment and operational teams around the world. TPG invests across a broadly diversified set of strategies, including private equity, impact, credit, real estate, and market solutions, and our unique strategy is driven by collaboration, innovation, and inclusion. Our teams combine deep product and sector experience with broad capabilities and expertise to develop differentiated insights and add value for our fund investors, portfolio companies, management teams, and communities.
TPG’s success depends on our people, and we build and sustain our world-class team by creating an inclusive, supportive culture within the firm that seeks excellence and encourages humility and transparency. The quality of our investments and our ability to build great companies depend on the originality of our insights. Reaching our firm’s full potential means supporting every team member to bring the fullness of their unique perspective to their work and to our community. We are committed to a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace to foster diversity of thought and reflect the breadth of our limited partners and portfolio companies.
About Y Analytics
Y Analytics is TPG’s innovative internal capability, purpose-built to understand and improve the environmental and social impacts of deployed capital, in alignment with value-creation opportunities.
Y Analytics was launched in parallel to The Rise Fund and founded in partnership with TPG/Rise to provide best-in-class insights and tools that improve capital allocation decisions. Our rigorous approach to impact assessment and management draws on evidentiary academic and economic research, enabling greater use of evidence in capital allocation decision-making and impact valuation. Today, Y Analytics directly supports impact assessments and decision-making for The Rise Fund, the TPG Rise Climate Fund, and other TPG companies/vehicles with impact objectives. Y Analytics also leads sustainability and Environmental, Social, & Governance (ESG) strategy and implementation across TPG in close partnership with colleagues across TPG. We support TPG and its portfolio companies by assessing the financially material ESG performance of current and potential investments and advise on risk mitigation and value-creation opportunities. We also manage ESG analytics and reporting activities for TPG’s firm and portfolio, in addition to engagement with limited partners on ESG considerations.
As we continue to grow, we are leveraging our capabilities in new and innovative ways and sharing our learnings with the broader investment and research communities.
The Senior Associate will be responsible for executing and helping others deliver impact assessments and decision-making support provided to The Rise Fund platform, specializing in Rise’s health and social thematic areas (education, financial inclusion, food and agriculture, healthcare, and impact services). Furthermore, this Senior Associate will play a leading role in developing Y Analytics’ thought leadership and driving our impact assessment capability forward.
Their primary responsibilities will include:
- Conducting and coaching others on impact-related assessments (diligence and ex-post evaluation) of potential investments and portfolio companies for The Rise Fund and other TPG investments. This work includes desk research, research interpretation, data analysis, and modeling to quantify and monetize a company’s potential societal and environmental impact. The work requires an inquisitive mindset and ability to think deeply, logically, and critically about nuances in impact. This Senior Associate will both execute impact assessments on live deals for which they are the primary point of contact, in addition to coaching other members of the team on modelling, research interpretation, and client service.
- Acting as a primary point of contact related to impact assessments on live deals and investment thematics, with the rigor and turnaround times of private equity deal flow. The Senior Associate must deliver high-quality deliverables at a fast pace in line with TPG’s private equity diligence cycle. This requires strong attention to detail, the ability to work efficiently and identify what truly matters, and a pragmatic client service orientation.
- Engaging with Rise portfolio companies to augment their social and/or environmental impact. This involves both developing and maintaining relationships with key portfolio company leaders and providing research and analysis.
- Leading strategic projects that advance Y Analytics’ mission. The Senior Associate will envision and manage special initiatives pertaining to Y Analytics’ impact assessment capability. Examples may include research deep-dives and analyses related to a particular impact sector or research theme, white papers on methodological advancements, data visualizations, etc.
- Undergraduate degree plus a minimum of 4-6 years of relevant full-time work experience. The ideal candidate will have at least 2 years of experience in consulting, financial services, research and analytics, international development, or ESG/impact focused professional services; and/or a relevant academic degree. Master’s degrees (MPP, MPA, MBA) or other graduate degrees are a plus but not required.
- Ability to independently find, interpret and synthesize research studies of a highly quantitative/statistical nature under tight timelines, such as microeconomic research papers. Experience contributing to academic research and/or performing literature reviews is a plus.
- Expertise in one or multiple of Rise’s social thematic areas (education, financial inclusion, food and agriculture, healthcare, and impact services).
- Exceptional quantitative analytics capabilities: must be able to efficiently, accurately, and independently build quantitative models to analyze impact using research, company data, and third-party data.
- Strong strategic thinking and problem-solving: must be able to navigate challenges with a creative problem-solving ability and can-do attitude, without much support from a manager. This includes being able to work under tight timelines with incomplete information and wading through ambiguity in order to produce actionable, decision-relevant insights and recommendations.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication: must be able to synthesize findings from research and data analysis in presentations and written documents, and communicate these to internal and external senior executives within polished, client-ready deliverables (including use of MS PowerPoint)
- Drive and ability to make contributions to the team beyond day-to-day operations, including advancements to the team’s culture, operational efficiency, and overarching strategy
- Exceptional leadership and project management skills: must be able to manage group efforts and balance competing priorities against tight, dynamic project timelines
- Exceptional client relationship management skills and experience, including the ability to lead engagements independently
- Demonstrated ownership and self-direction, and commitment to excellence: must be able to drive work forward independently, self- guide research and manage projects, and deliver top quality, highly polished outputs by set deadlines. Successful Senior Associates take pride in their work product while maintaining a commitment to continuous improvement.
- Ability to provide active mentorship and support to other team members both within the project context and beyond the immediate project environment
- Highly collaborative: must be a strong team player who is effective in a fast-paced, teamwork-heavy, cross- functional environment
- Alignment to team values, including an appreciation for diversity of people, experiences, and opinions; a sense of humility and humor; and commitment to fairness and ethical behavior
- Commitment to Y Analytics’ mission to improve the future of humanity and our planet through effective capital allocation for the greater good