Head of Product Marketing
About Turn/River Capital
Turn/River Capital is a technology-focused private equity firm based in San Francisco with over $2 billion under management. We are 100% focused on B2B software, specializing in growth capital investments, founder liquidity, buyouts, spin-outs, and recapitalizations of technology, web, and SaaS companies. Our strategy combines flexible capital with data-driven marketing, sales optimization, and operational execution to help companies double or triple their growth and build significant value. We are analytically driven, curious by nature, and always looking for the next experiment to drive improvement.
About the Role
The Director of Product Marketing will be responsible for collaborating with our portfolio companies to market and sell their products more effectively, particularly within each portfolio company’s existing customer base. We take a data-driven approach at Turn/River, so our product marketing approach starts with an analysis of a company’s customers: Which customers have bought which products? How are those customers segmented? What are the most common expansion journeys that customers undertake? What’s the next product that each customer should buy? How can we create more opportunities or better ways of identifying potential opportunities? You’ll use your analytical skills to create action plans with portfolio companies, both at product launch time and on an ongoing basis.
To excel at Turn/River, you must be able to roll up your sleeves and work directly with your counterparts in our portfolio companies. You’ll be providing the analytical and strategic underpinning for all of their product marketing efforts, giving you a unique opportunity both to help the portfolio succeed, and to develop new intellectual property that Turn/River can deploy to other portfolio companies. If you’re someone who’s always craved more data, across more companies, when making product marketing decisions, you’ll be coming to the right place!
- Identifying opportunities – you will focus on identifying which customers are most likely to buy which products, and what opportunities the company has to expand that addressable market.
- Mapping purchasing paths – you will help our portfolio companies identify, understand, and communicate the most common expansion paths that their customers follow as they mature as customers, from initial sale to mature customer.
- Finding vanguard customers – you will develop repeatable methods for identifying customers who are most likely to be early adopters of new products, helping our portfolio companies create momentum for new product launches.
- Packaging and Pricing products – in collaboration with the Turn/River operations team and our portfolio companies, you will spearhead efforts to create compelling product packages that create value and near-term revenue for the company, while opening opportunities for expansion as the customer matures.
- Product launch support – while you won’t be directly responsible for product launches, you’ll play a key role in establishing launches processes in the portfolio, and will pitch in as needed both to learn and to teach.
- 10+ years of B2B software marketing experience, ideally at companies of over $100m/year in revenue, in Product Marketing roles or equivalent.
- Expertise in analyzing and deploying pricing/packaging initiatives that generate additional revenue and sales opportunities within a customer base. Must have led these initiatives cross departmentally and generated quantifiable success.
- A demonstrated ability to lead financially successful product marketing efforts across a multi-product portfolio with both cross-sell and upsell/volume expansion levers.
- A history of using rigorous analysis to shape marketing strategies and optimize execution of product marketing plans. Clear understanding of how to determine which product should be marketed/sold next, why, and how to operationally execute.
- A strong understanding of the fundamentals of product marketing as it applies to B2B software, including market segmentation, pricing/packaging, and sales enablement.
- Experience working cross-functionally, particularly with engineering and sales teams, with a strong ability to lead through influence.
- Strong project management, organizational, and communication skills, both written and verbal.
Location and Compensation
- SF – hybrid work model
Base salary range for this role is $265,000-$305,000, taking into account numerous variable factors that are considered in making compensation decisions including but not limited to skill sets, experience, training, licensure, certifications, and organizational requirements.
Benefits and Perks
- An opportunity to make an impact across multiple high-growth tech firms
- Competitive salary & benefits
- Commuter benefits
- Work from home Monday & Friday
- Energetic work environment with snacks and weekly team lunches, centrally located near multiple public transit lines
- A company who enjoys having fun: holiday parties, annual company offsite, annual summer remote month