Montagu Private Equity Overview
Montagu Private Equity is a mid-market private equity firm based in London, UK with additional offices in Frankfurt, Luxembourg, New York, Paris, and Warsaw.
The firm’s main investment focus is on management buyouts of performing businesses that have enterprise values ranging from €200 million to €1 billion.
Montagu typically supports businesses with a must-have service or product in a structurally growing marketplace. The firm’s core expertise is in these five sectors:
- Financial Sector Services
- Critical Data
- Digital Infrastructure
Montagu Private Equity was founded in 1968 as a division of Midland Bank after they acquired Montagu Trust, owner of Samuel Montagu & Co.
The business was then renamed HSBC Private Equity after HSBC’s acquisition of Midland Bank in 1992. The Montagu name was revived when the management team of Montagu acquired 80.1% of shares from HSBC in 2003. The remaining 19.9% was purchased from HSBC by the management team in 2013.
Montagu Private Equity AUM
According to Montagu Private Equity’s site-published record, the firm has €11 billion in assets under management.
Montagu Private Equity Interview Process & Questions
Despite the changes in the interview changes for each candidate, the general nature of the process stays the same for the most part. In fact, you can anticipate the following:
- Interview rounds: 4-6
- Initial interviews are supervised by junior professionals, while later rounds are handled by more senior folks
- Unless it’s on-campus or on-cycle recruiting, expect that the entire process will last for multiple weeks
Get ready to answer a mixture of behavioral questions, technical questions, and fit questions when you interview at Montagu Private Equity.
To help you with preparation, I’ve created a Growth Equity Interview Guide. Feel free to check it out.
Why Montagu Private Equity
One of the questions you must prepare for is the “Why this firm” question.
If you’ve met employees at the firm during your networking efforts, make sure to mention them and how their experiences and testimonies helped in choosing their firm.
Also, do your homework and research the firm. You can try listening to interviews with its founders, management team, and investors to get to know them better.
For starters, here’s a Montagu Annual Investor Meeting 2023:
- Jason Gatenby, Managing Partner-Chair of Montagu, speaks about the development of the Private Equity industry in Europe
- Derek Delaney, Global CEO of Waystone, speaks about Waystone & Montagu Private Equity partnership
Montagu Private Equity Case Study
Communication skills and technical knowledge are two traits that investment firms highly value. To evaluate these, firms like Montagu Private Equity ask candidates to perform case studies.
Most case studies will have you do financial modeling and investment recommendations. But for junior roles, a cold calling case study may also be part of the process.
I’ve discussed case studies in great detail inside my Growth Equity Interview Guide course.
Montagu Private Equity Salary & Compensation
Montagu Private Equity provides a total median base pay of $125,181 per year to their analysts, while there’s no recent data for associate hires. Figures may vary based on your experience, education, and other factors determined by the firm.
Montagu Private Equity Careers, Jobs, & Internships
Head over to our job board to see open roles at Montagu Private Equity. We also feature job vacancies from other similar firms.
Montagu Private Equity Portfolio & Investments
Since inception, Montagu Private Equity has made 29 investments across two funds. Some of their notable deals include ParentPay, Emitel, and Visma.
Notable Transaction: Universal Investment
Universal Investment is one of the leading independent providers of fund administration services and third-party management companies in Luxembourg and Germany.
In September 2022, Montagu Private Equity made further investment in Universal Investment alongside Canada Pension Plan Investment, which acquired a minority stake in the business.
Daniel Fischer, director at Montagu, said that the investment is due to Universal Investment’s strong performance in the last five years, with consistent growth in Luxembourg, Germany, and Ireland.
Universal Investment plans to use the financial support to expand their product lines, acquire state-of-the-art tech (such robotic process automation and blockchain), and establish a branch in Poland to support their offices in Luxembourg and Frankfurt.
If you decide to send your application and build your investing career at Montagu Private Equity, I would highly recommend that you check out my Growth Equity Interview Guide first before attending interviews.
Growth Equity Interview Guide helps professionals get a good grasp of topics that are typically covered during interviews such as financial modeling, case studies, and more. Check it out and start learning today!